Getting the most out of our highly simplified calculator works like a charm, however, there are a couple of steps that need to be followed to know the current rate imposed on in the California state.
It could be messy if you don’t have a Sales Tax Calculator with you while living your digital life. Handling one or two calculations may seem easier, but when it comes to taking care of immense numbers of sales tax calculations, you could have a nightmare.
That’s where you need a Sales Tax Calculator like ours which will keep you at ease – satisfied.
How California Sales Tax Calculator Works
To know what the current sales tax rate applies in your state i.e. California, all you need is the simple calculator given above.
- Enter the “Amount” you want to enquire about.
- Choose the “Sales Tax Rate” from the drop-down list.
- Finally, click on “Calculate” or not (our calculator doesn’t even require your action – it automatically does it all).
And, there you go!
California Sales Tax Rates
If you’ve opened this page (and reading this), chances are you are living in California and you intend to know the sales tax rate, isn’t it?
Well, speaking of California, the general sales tax is 7.25%, which is composed of 6% state tax and 1.25% uniform local tax.
As of July 2019, the tax rates in the city differ. In other words, in different areas of California, you will notice that the rate of sales tax varies in different cities or counties.
How to File and Pay Sales Tax in California
Insofar filing and paying sales tax in California is considered, three things need to be kept in mind while you do this:
- Knowing how much sales tax you owe
- Filing a sales tax return
- Making a payment
First things first. How do you think you will file a sales tax return if you have no idea about the sales tax that you owe? You can’t! You’ve got to understand the sales tax report in your state (California) for that purpose.
Once done, the next thing you have to do is file your sales tax with the help of the following:
- File Online: You can file online with the help of the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
- File by Mail: You can also do that with the help of California’s short form and don’t forget to check out the important instructions for filing by mail.
Facts about California Sales Tax Filing
There are some other things that you must know as far as filing sales tax in California is considered.
Yes, we’re talking about penalties!
Every time you file late or pay late, you will be required to pay a penalty which could become a pain in the neck. Therefore, we suggest that you should pay earlier or before the deadline reaches.
- Penalty for filing late: 10% of sales tax owed (see here)
- Penalty for paying late: 10% of sales tax owed (see here)
That’s not all – there might be other penalties like for fraud and serial offenses that could trigger even the higher penalties or could lead to criminal charges.
There are other important aspects of “Zero Returns” and “Discounts” that you should be aware of if you’re planning on filing and paying the sales tax in California.
California Sales Tax Holidays
If you want to know the list of the current Sales Tax Holidays in California, please log on to the official website of California state.