Getting the most out of our highly simplified calculator works like a charm, however, there are a couple of steps that need to be followed to know the current rate imposed on in the Kentucky state.
It could be messy if you don’t have a Sales Tax Calculator with you while living your digital life. Handling one or two calculations may seem easier, but when it comes to taking care of immense numbers of sales tax calculations, you could have a nightmare.
That’s where you need a Sales Tax Calculator like ours which will keep you at ease – fully satisfied.
To know what the current sales tax rate applies in your state i.e. Kentucky, all you need is the simple calculator given above.
- Enter the “Amount” you want to enquire about.
- Choose the “Sales Tax Rate” from the drop-down list.
- Finally, click on “Calculate” or not (our calculator doesn’t even require your action – it automatically does it all).
And, there you go!
Kentucky Sales Tax Rates
If you’ve opened this page (and reading this), chances are you are living in Kentucky and you intend to know the sales tax rate, right?
Well, speaking of Kentucky, there is a general sales tax of 6%. But the sales tax is not charged no the staple grocery foods. Previously, until April 1, 2009, alcohol sales were exempt.
There are items (products) that are taxed, but still there is a list of the items that are non-taxable.
Which products are exempt from the tax?
The following list has the names of the products that are tax exempt. This list contains most of the products and services, still there might be some others:
There are times when the services are taxed and the other times, you might be charged with the sales tax. This can be made sure by visiting to the official website of Kentucky.
The tax rates in the city differ. In other words, in different areas of Kentucky, you will notice that the rate of sales tax varies in different cities or counties.
To see the list of sales tax in each county or city, please refer to the table given at the bottom of this page.
How to File and Pay Sales Tax in Kentucky
Insofar filing and paying sales tax in Kentucky is considered, three things need to be kept in mind while you do this:
- Knowing how much sales tax you owe
- Filing a sales tax return
- Making a payment
First things first. How do you think you will file sales tax return if you have no idea about the sales tax that you owe? You can’t! You’ve got to understand the sales tax report in your state (Kentucky) for that purpose.
Once done, next thing you have to do is file your sales tax with the help of the following:
- File Online: You can file online with the help of Kentucky Department of Revenue. If you are confused about the filing, please refer to the instruction guide.
Facts about Kentucky Sales Tax Filing
There are some other things that you must know as far as filing sales tax in Kentucky is considered.
Yes, we’re talking about penalties!
Every time you file late or pay late, you will be required to pay penalty which could become a pain in the neck. Therefore, we suggest that you should pay earlier or before the deadline reaches.
- Penalty for filing late: If you file late, you will be imposed 2% of the tax due every 30 days or a fraction thereof that a tax return or report is late. If you file a return late after a jeopardy assessment has been issued, pursuant to KRS 131.150, the smallest penalty will be $100; or the minimum penalty will be $10.00.
- Penalty for paying late: The imposition of 2% of the tax due if paid for every 30 days is carried out or fraction thereof that it is paid late. The max penalty becomes 20% of the tax when not timely withheld. The minimum penalty of the tax is $10.
That’s not all – there might be other penalties like for fraud and serial offenses that could trigger even the higher penalties or could lead to criminal charges.
There are other important aspects about “Zero Returns” and “Discounts” that you should be aware of if you’re planning on filing and paying the sales tax in Kentucky.
Find out more about the penalties imposed on late filing by visiting the official website of the Kentucky Revenue Department.
Kentucky Sales Tax Holidays
There are no tax holiday for the Kentucky state. If there is any in the future, we will update it right here.
If you want to know more about the list of the current Sales Tax Holidays in Kentucky, please log on to the official website.