Getting the most out of our highly simplified calculator works like a charm, however, there are a couple of steps that need to be followed to know the current rate imposed on in the Virginia state.
It could be messy if you don’t have a Sales Tax Calculator with you while living your digital life. Handling one or two calculations may seem easier, but when it comes to taking care of immense numbers of sales tax calculations, you could have a nightmare.
That’s where you need a Sales Tax Calculator like ours which will keep you at ease – fully satisfied.
To know what the current sales tax rate applies in your state i.e. Virginia, all you need is the simple calculator given above.
- Enter the “Amount” you want to enquire about.
- Choose the “Sales Tax Rate” from the drop-down list.
- Finally, click on “Calculate” or not (our calculator doesn’t even require your action – it automatically does it all).
And, there you go!
Virginia Sales Tax Rates
If you’ve opened this page (and reading this), chances are you are living in Virginia and you intend to know the sales tax rate, right?
Well, speaking of Virginia, the rate of the general sales tax is 5.30% which consists of 4.3% state tax and local taxes of 1%, resulting in 5.95%. Moreover, other taxing authorities may also have the right to impose their own taxes. An additional 0.7% tax is imposed on the Northern Virginia region.
You will different variations of taxes in different counties and cities. See the table at the bottom for detailed information.
There are items (products) that are taxed, but still, there is a list of the items that are non-taxable.
Which products are exempt from the tax?
There are names of the products that are tax exempt. The list may contain most of the products and services, still, there might be some others.
The state imposes a tax on every “eligible food item” to the consumers. For instance, fresh local produce at farmers’ markets and at grocery stores, basic, unprepared cold grocery food, are taxed at 2.5% (1.5% state tax and 1% local tax).
There is also tax of 11.5% on alcohol.
The tax rates in the city differ. In other words, in different areas of Virginia, you will notice that the rate of sales tax varies in different cities or counties.
To see the list of sales tax in each county or city, please refer to the table given at the bottom of this page.
How to File and Pay Sales Tax in Virginia
Insofar filing and paying sales tax in Virginia is considered, three things need to be kept in mind while you do this:
- Knowing how much sales tax you owe
- Filing a sales tax return
- Making a payment
First things first. How do you think you will file sales tax return if you have no idea about the sales tax that you owe? You can’t! You’ve got to understand the sales tax report in your state (Virginia) for that purpose.
Once done, next thing you have to do is file your sales tax with the help of the following:
- File Online: You can file online with the help of the VATAX Online Service for Business. The payment can be remitted using the online system. If you are confused about the filing, please refer to the instruction guide.
- File by Mail: You can also file by phone through the mail using the form ST-8 (for out-of-state sellers) or ST-9 (for in-state sellers with one location).
Facts about Virginia Sales Tax Filing
There are some other things that you must know as far as filing sales tax in Virginia is considered.
Yes, we’re talking about penalties!
Every time you file late or pay late, you will be required to pay penalty which could become a pain in the neck. Therefore, we suggest that you should pay earlier or before the deadline reaches.
- Penalty for filing late: If you file late, you will be levied a 6% tax every month of the tax imposed up to 30%. You won’t be charged with the late penalty until after 6 months have passed so if the business hasn’t filed by then, they will owe the full 30% of the penalty.
- Penalty for paying late: In this case, you will be imposed a penalty of 6% every month of the tax imposed up to 30%. You won’t be charged with the penalty until after 6 months have passed so if the business hasn’t paid by then, they will owe the full 30% of the penalty. The accessing of late filing penalty and the late payment penalty cannot be done together. So if you run a business and you’ve already received a late filing penalty, you won’t be charged with a late payment penalty too.
That’s not all – there might be other penalties like for fraud and serial offences that could trigger even the higher penalties or could lead to the criminal charges.
There are other important aspects about “Zero Returns” and “Discounts” that you should be aware of if you’re planning on filing and paying the sales tax in Virginia.
Find out more about the penalties imposed on late filing by visiting the official website of Virginia Revenue Department.
Virginia Sales Tax Holidays
If you want to know more about the list of the current Sales Tax Holidays in Virginia, please log on to the official website.
|Virginia Combined Back to School Sales Tax Holiday, Energy Efficiency Sales Tax Holiday & Emergency Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday||August 3-5, 2018|