Getting the most out of our highly simplified calculator works like a charm, however, there are a couple of steps that need to be followed to know the current rate imposed on in the Washington DC state.

It could be messy if you don’t have a Sales Tax Calculator with you while living your digital life. Handling one or two calculations may seem easier, but when it comes to taking care of immense numbers of sales tax calculations, you could have a nightmare.

That’s where you need a Sales Tax Calculator like ours which will keep you at ease – fully satisfied.

To know what the current sales tax rate applies in your state i.e. Washington DC, all you need is the simple calculator given above.

  1. Enter the “Amount” you want to enquire about.
  2. Choose the “Sales Tax Rate” from the drop-down list.
  3. Finally, click on “Calculate” or not (our calculator doesn’t even require your action – it automatically does it all).

And, there you go!

Washington DC Sales Tax Rates

If you’ve opened this page (and reading this), chances are you are living in Washington DC and you intend to know the sales tax rate, right?

How Washington DC Sales Tax Calculator Works: Step By Step Guide

Well, speaking of Washington DC, the rate of the general sales tax is 6.50% statewide. The local rates are likely to be different based on one’s location at the point of purchase and can result in 3.10% for a combined rate of 9.60%. 

You will different variations of taxes in different counties and cities. See the table at the bottom for detailed information. 

There are items (products) that are taxed, but still there is a list of the items that are non-taxable. 

Which products are exempt from the tax?

There are names of the products that are tax exempt. The list may contain most of the products and services, still there might be some others.

Over the counter medication, prepared food, medical marijuana are not exempted from the sales tax. There’s also sale or lease tax on the motor vehicles.

If there are residents of Canada or U.S. states or possessions that have fewer than 3%, they are exempt from the sales tax on the purchase of tangible property. 

The tax rates in the city differ. In other words, in different areas of Washington DC, you will notice that the rate of sales tax varies in different cities or counties.

To see the list of sales tax in each county or city, please refer to the table given at the bottom of this page. 

How to File and Pay Sales Tax in Washington DC

Insofar filing and paying sales tax in Washington DC is considered, three things need to be kept in mind while you do this:

  1. Knowing how much sales tax you owe
  2. Filing a sales tax return
  3. Making a payment

First things first. How do you think you will file sales tax return if you have no idea about the sales tax that you owe? You can’t! You’ve got to understand the sales tax report in your state (Washington DC) for that purpose.

Once done, next thing you have to do is file your sales tax with the help of the following:

  • File Online: You can file online with the help of the D.C. Freefile. The payment can be remitted using the online system. If you are confused about the filing, please refer to the instruction guide.
  • File by Mail: You can also file by phone through the mail using the form FR-800A and pay annually or use FR-800M to file and pay monthly. See other details right here.

Facts about Washington DC Sales Tax Filing

There are some other things that you must know as far as filing sales tax in Washington DC is considered.

Yes, we’re talking about penalties!

Every time you file late or pay late, you will be required to pay a penalty which could become a pain in the neck. Therefore, we suggest that you should pay earlier or before the deadline reaches.

  • Penalty for filing late: If you file late, you will be levied 5% of the tax due per month or fraction (maximum 25%). 
  • Penalty for paying late: In this case, you will be imposed a 5% of the tax due per month or fraction (maximum 25%).

That’s not all – there might be other penalties like for fraud and serial offenses that could trigger even the higher penalties or could lead to criminal charges.

There are other important aspects about “Zero Returns” and “Discounts” that you should be aware of if you’re planning on filing and paying the sales tax in Washington DC.

Find out more about the penalties imposed on late filing by visiting the official website of the Washington DC Revenue Department. 

Washington DC Sales Tax Holidays

If you want to know more about the list of the current Sales Tax Holidays in Washington DC, please log on to the official website.